Friday, February 22, 2008

Deft Punks

So, I just yesterday learned what Steampunk means (yes, I know how far behind the times and uncool that makes me), but already I'm intrigued by this underworld of ubergeeks that fantasize about living in the Victorian era when science fiction was all based on steam locomotion. I don't know- just something about that spirit of folks subcategorizing their passions to the point that there are only, like, 15 other people on the planet that "get you" is just so rad.

I'm probably vastly understating the size of the steampunk posse though- in the 2 days since I learned what it means I've seen examples popping up everywhere. And I must say, these folks are pretty damn creative.

For example, how great is this?



(via Gizmodo)

And don't even get me started on the steampunk tree that some of you may have seen last year at Burning Man.



Damn- sounds like these guys hate ravers and hippies almost as much as Stefbot does. AND they live in Oakland! Stef- you've really got to join forces with these guys to make an army of steampunk monkey robots to take over all the dance floors in SF.

2 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I am part of a new monemenr called Brittny Punk. We use the psychotic energy of BM to power entire nations.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Hmmm, wonder who anonymous could be talking about here? I feel a blind item coming on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home