Friday, January 20, 2006

Cousin Elias

So I'm grabbing a bite with my friend Brian a couple of nights ago, and as he was filling me in on some highlights of his trip home to Dublin for the holidays he mentioned hanging out with these fellas and hearing them jam- and being blown away. Now, in the time that I've known Brian I've come to understand that he has trustworthy taste in music, so when he says something's good I tend to pay attention. He was kind enough to slip me their EP later that night so I could see for myself. Frankly, I can't stop listening to it. These guys are like Bright Eyes but with less early twenty-something angst. They are a bit more mature, Dylanesque. Elias has a unique voice that at first listen seems like it might be annoying, but you quickly find yourself hooked. I remember having a similar reaction the first time I heard Nick Cave or Tom Waits. Kind of like, what the fuck? Oh, I get it...

The production also adds a lot. It has a kind of hollow, echoey quality like maybe it was recorded in a church, or the foyer of city hall or something. And from reading their website it seems like they spent some time in San Fran, so some of you may have crossed paths with them at one point or another (Irish folk in San Francisco? STFU!!). Anyway, if you're interested you can check out their website and sample some songs.




And just because I felt this post could use a bit of color, here's a picture of a lovely day in Dublin. Here's hoping yours is just as good...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home