Thursday, July 03, 2008

Sic 'em UGA, woof, woof. Amen.

It was a sad day in Athens, Ga on June 30th, 2008.

A dog died.






Not simply home to the once-hip R.E.M. and B-52's, Athens was home to a 92,746 seat arena known as Sanford Stadium. Every Saturday while the trees turned brilliant yellow and orange and the Georgia heat gave way to cool, Autumn nights, about 90 thousand people would descend upon Athens like ticks to a hound. The young among them taping zip-lock baggies of Jack Daniels and SoCo to their legs and the aged alumni sporting polyester weave red and black Geranimal-like attire.

The Georgia Bulldogs (also known as Dawgs) football team would take the field "'tween the hedges" (there are bushes on either side of the field), but not before the University of Georgia mascot - Uga. Proud and taunt like a recently pledged Tri-Delt, Uga would strut onto the gridiron wearing nothing but a red shirt and a dopey smile - also much like a recently pledged Tri-Delt. Chants of "Woof, Woof Woof!!!" would escape the mouths of southerners nearly one hundred thousand strong as the bulldog trotted around the stadium announcing another contest in the SEC.

As dawgs live in dog years, the University has keep the bloodline alive by cleverly naming each new bulldog with a corresponding number. Thus, Uga VI, came to pass and did, in fact, pass last month of heart failure.

While I did not know Uga VI personally, my friend Ed had this to say about him: "he was one of the celebrities I had met and worked with. I helped shoot a documentary about the life and lineage of the Mascots. He was a pleasure... not stuck-up at all."


Sic 'em Uga, Woof, Woof. Amen.

P.S. One of the oldest jokes about Uga:

Two rednecks are watching a Georgia football game when they see Uga walk onto the field. The dog suddenly stops on the 50 yard line and starts to lick himself in front of 90 thousand people. One redneck says to the other redneck, (insert severe southern accent here) "Damn, I wish I could do that." The other redneck says, "That dog would bite the shit out of you."

Goodnight everybody, and Happy Birthday America.

2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hate to be a stickler for the details, dearest, but those 2 rednecks had names: Bubba and Earl.

http://www.southernscribe.com/zine/landmarks/grizzard.htm

RIP, UGA. Who was a good boy? You were! You were a good boy.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and just in case my family reads this and thinks I've gone soft, let me follow that up by saying:

I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech, and a hell of an Engineer

A Helluva, Helluva, Helluva, Helluva, Helluva Engineer

Like all the jolly good fellows, I drink my whiskey clear.
I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an Engineer

Oh, if I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in white and gold,
And put her on the campus To cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do--
He'd yell: 'TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!' Like his daddy used to do.

Oh, I wish I had a barrel of rum, and Sugar three thousand pounds
A college bell to put it in, And a clapper to stir it round.
I'd drink to all the good fellows, who come from far and near.

I'm a Ramblin', Gamblin', HELL OF AN ENGINEER!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home