Thursday, September 06, 2007

Stevie Wonderful

This past Tuesday I got to experience the dream of a lifetime - seeing Stevie Wonder live. I didn't know anyone else willing to drop $200 on a ticket, so I went by myself, all the way down in Saratoga at the Mountain Winery, and I'm so glad I did. It was unreal. I was about 100 feet away from Stevie, with a perfect sight line - no straining to see over tall people's heads or anything. The crowd was up dancing for about 3/4 of the show, and everybody seemed equally enthralled by the experience.

Dude. Stevie Wonder.

I tried to remember every song he played, but this is all I can remember (in no particular order):

Too High
Golden Lady (!)
Ribbon in the Sky
Visions (!)
Living for the City
You Are the Sunshine of My Life
Superstition
Overjoyed (!)
Boogie On Reggae Woman (!)
Isn't She Lovely (which he sang to his daughter Aisha, who was on backup vocals)
My Cherie Amour
You Haven't Done Nothin'
Signed, Sealed, Delivered (which he also had the crowd sing as a country song after going through it the first time)

There must have been more because the show was about 2.5 hours, but that's all I can recall at the moment. Even just writing that list, I still can't believe I got to hear so many of my lifetime favorites sung live.

Stevie also spent a lot of time joking around, having silly little conversations with himself in different voices, and had to stop the jam a couple times because he was cracking himself up so hard.

Then at the end, just before leaving the stage, he took a few moments to talk about love and how it's our highest calling to love one another. And just when you thought Stevie might be getting a little soft, he closed it with "You know what I think about all the people who have nothing but hate? All the haters? I think they should just go ahead and die and go to hell and stop trying to make this world a living hell. Do you agree?" Damn, Stevie! I'm glad I'm on your side.

Fucking awesome.

Update!
He also played "Sir Duke" and "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing."

4 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Wait, doesn't hating on the haters therefore make Stevie a hater? And if Stevie is a hater, how can he say that love is our highest calling, and that haters should go to hell? I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Oh wait, yes I do. I believe when I fall in love with you, it will be forever...

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger G-Train said...

Stevie's no hater. He just looks at the negative but lives in the positive.

When I become president first thing I'm gonna do is appoint Stevie Wonder as America's first Secretary of Flavor.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

Damn, ain't Flava Flav been bitch-slapped enough w/o you passing him over for his titular position, G?

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Hellpop said...

Stay gold, Ponyboy.

...stay gold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home