Monday, July 02, 2007

Rufus = Fabulous = My Big Gay Crush

After being quite literally lifted off our asses and into a hot tent by Rufus Wainwright's deliciously precocious stage banter at Coachella, DingDong and I were happily surprised this past weekend to discover that DD has two-plus albums from Rufus in his iTunes library. One might argue that if you're unaware you have two whole albums from someone in your iTunes that maybe you have too much music in your iTunes, but it's exactly such overloading of the iTunes that leads to such happy discoveries as the one DD and I had Saturday. Moving on...

Coachella was the first time I heard RW (well, aside from the songs I've heard here & there in movies & such but didn't know who it was I was hearing) and I totally dug him. Or, as Jess so perceptively noted at the time, "Someone totally has a crush!" A hopeless crush of course, as it's quite clear Rufus is the gayest thing since gay came to gay town.

As we listened to the couple hours worth of songs DD had, Rufus quickly belted his way into my current top 10, and probably my all-time top 20. (One album was Want One, and I'll check tonight and update what the other was, for whoever's counting). But the song that's really doing it for me, and has been running in my head quite happily since Saturday, is "Oh What a World." It's like a river of fabulous steadily rising and finally overflowing its banks and flooding the land with super-fabulousness.

But don't take my word for it, check this:


What a doll. Love the witch costume. Love the nod to Coit Tower at the end too (which is right outside my window at the moment here at work).

Oh and he's coming to SF and LA in August/September. Nashville too! The LA show, at the Hollywood Bowl, will feature Rufus singing the complete program Judy Garland performed at the Hollywood Bowl in 1961, with complete orchestra. Oh and what a coincidence, it's only 6 days after my birthday!

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Wow! You mean Ding Dong had 2 whole albums in his iTunes that you didn't even know about? Hmmm, makes you wonder what else is in his closet.. I mean, in his iTunes... that might be surprising.

I'm sure he got them on the downlow... I mean, download.

Ith time for Thow Tunes everybody!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home