Wednesday, November 01, 2006

This must be the place...



6 years and about 1 month ago, 15 crackheads gathered in an apartment in San Francisco's Mission District. They were friends, some old, some new, and they were gathered together that night to plan a Halloween party.

The one they called DK spoke up first. He had an idea. An inspired idea. This idea was to shun the traditional party plan. Renegade, baby. And screw Saturday night. Everyone does parties on Saturday night. We would start our party Sunday morning. 4:20 Sunday morning, to be exact. Where? In the middle of the ghetto, of course. Where else would all of these crackheads feel at home?

It was decided. We would dress as ninjas to escape detection by both cops and robbers, haul our bass and bacon out to Hunter's Point, and throw a kick ass Halloween party.

There were maybe 100 people at that first party, but not many more than that. Now, 6 years later, we're still hauling our old asses out there- some of us even had babies in tow. And what must have been close to 700 cracked out, crazy ass, costumed San Franciscans followed along for what was most definitely the best Halloween I've ever had, bar none.



I wish I could do justice to the scene on Sunday in a blog post, but I just can't. You had to be there. I can say that while there may have been some changes in the past few years within BTx, we've never lost the flava. If anything we've seasoned, like a good cast iron pan. Or Maurillo's chili on the second day. We do this right.


All I can say at this point is thank god Halloween only comes once a year. Although Thanksgiving is already looking scarier than I ever could have imagined.



Gobble gobble.



(Pics by Marya, Doc Otto and Jenn Fiiiiiiineberg, in that order)

8 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that Jess. I felt so lucky on Sunday morning as I walked down the path towards the thumping bass. I was walking to our little family. Our crazy community. And it felt like coming home...

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Wood said to me "I think I parked 4 miles away." I said, "You know your getting old when you have to park 4 miles away from your own party."

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know in years past I have tended towards the whining child behavior at the end of this event and just wanted to go home, stick my thumb in my mouth and sleep away the day in my crib, but this year I didn't want it to end. I was even supportive of the cheers for "one more song". Most of you have heard this but this one guy was like "what time does this start next weekend." Next weekend??!!! And Stef if you are reading this...you....are the father! yes I am at work and no I am not drunk.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger stefbot said...

hahahaaaa! i didn't hear about the "next weekend" comment. jesus christ, can you imagine if it was even every month?

you...are....NOT the father!


i love how there are so many ppl who go that really have no idea who any of us are, or what brass tax is for that matter. i think it helps keep our individual egos in check to know that our biggest party of the year is somewhat anonymous. it keeps the focus on the party, and that keeps it real. it's bigger than any one of us, and bigger than brass tax. it's a freakin halloween monster, is what it is. frankenrager!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger babs said...

i heard the party called a "rave" by some people i was walking behind down the path. is that what the kids call it these days? i suggest "renerave". one more!! one more!!! still glowing.

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who are we?

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger G-Train said...

I hope you all appreciated my costume. I was the gigantic beige power plant in the background.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Jess said...

whoa, g-train, i didn't realize that was you. sorry about peeing on you that one time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home