Thursday, March 13, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Two-fer

I have a couple friends coming from the east coast to visit me for St. Patrick's Day this year. So you'd think I'd be pretty much on it as far as St. Patty's Day celebrations. Yet I just now found out that St. Patrick's Day has been moved up to Saturday, March 15th this year. How did I not know that?

Well, probably because it's only kinda, sorta moved to the 15th. The Catholic Church declared the change in order that St. Patrick's Day celebrations wouldn't happen during Holy Week. As far as secular celebrations go, however, some are on the 15th, and some on the 17th. For example, San Francisco's parade will be on the 15th, but most bar-related events are happening on the 17th.

So which day does one celebrate? My first thought is, BOTH. Because one good day of drinking stout & whiskey deserves another. Preferably two days later, to allow for recovery time.

But really, we should turn to the experts on this one. What do the Irish have to say on the matter? Well the Dublin St. Patrick's Day Festival runs from March 13-17, culminating with the parade on the 17th. Sorry, Cat-licks, Holy Week will just have to come late this year.

2 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger Hellpop said...

The church can Cath-o-lick me! I'm drinking my Guinness when I damn well please!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Jess said...

I'm gonna cover my bases and stay drunk until Easter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home