Thursday, May 25, 2006

Coachella: The Movie: The Review

Movie reviews are pretty scarce on the Ghost. I'm no good at writing them, and unless they involve kung fu, caddies, or cartoon characters, Stef doesn't watch movies.

So let's not call this a movie review (even though technically I already did). Let's just say this is a heads up that if you like music at all (and I think you do) you should add this one to your queue immediately. Even if you've never been to Coachella (you've never been to Coachella? What the hell is wrong with you?) there's no way you wouldn't enjoy seeing the performances and interviews captured in this documentary about the 2 day musical feast that takes place every year on a polo field in Indio. We're talking Bjork singing All is Full of Love under a full moon with palm trees swaying behind... Radiohead's epilepsy inducing light show... the Pixies return debut performance... Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips being birthed from a space bubble and fantisizing about his idea of a proper Pixies' reunion performance.... Noel "I'm a Git" Gallagher vs. Saul "Music with a Message" Williams in a cleverly edited face-off over the musician's proper place in the larger scheme of things (does anyone not hate Oasis? Really, I'm asking.).

True to Coachella form though, some of my favorite moments in the film came from bands that I had either not heard of or am not generally that fond of. The Mars Volta jerking and spasoming frantically around the stage during what must have been the hottest part of the day... The Arcade Fire bringing down the house with a sundowner set... I even found Belle and Sebastian charming rather than cloying when they urged the crowd to "come have a dance."

Really there was not a moment during watching this movie that I didn't feel heartsick that Coachella couldn't happen more often, or that I had to wait a full year to go again. My post festival depression hasn't even quite worn off yet, so for true fans I might recommend waiting another couple of weeks before watching it.

It's just too bad that they couldn't capture those other Coachella moments... moments like Chadwick doing whippits and laying down some deep philosophy. "Ok, so what if, like, partying is up here, and..... what?..... wait... dammit! I lost it."

All is full of looooooooooove...

2 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger stefbot said...

"you know what we need? a moroccan superpipe for whippets."

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

I almost forgot my other favorite quote from that weekend, which was Fritz asking me, "did you know Stef has a blog?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home