Thursday, May 26, 2005

Binging and purging with Palahniuk

Anyone who's ever read or seen Fight Club knows that Chuck Palahniuk doesn't write pretty stories. Well constructed, yes. Fascinating? Maybe, in the same way that a freak show or car accident is fascinating. But pretty? Hell no.


The last time I read a Palahniuk novel was when a friend recommended Choke. Now, I have a thing about novels- unless they are just badly written, I will read them to the end, no matter how uncomfortable they make me. This novel more than any other I've read demonstrates that fact. It was not that any particular scene or passage in the novel was the most disturbing thing I had ever read (that distinction goes to the torture scene in Wind Up Bird Chronicle- messed up stuff), but rather that the novel as a whole just makes you feel so, well, icky.

The main character isn't even noble enough to be despicable. Reading about his life just makes you kind of sad that these people exist, and a little peeved at Palahniuk for capturing your attention so fully that you have to spend that much of your life with this guy. In fact, I'm not sure why my friend recommended the novel- he has since admitted that he felt the same way about it. Thanks, guy!


When I heard about his new collection of short stories, Haunted, it was in the context of the reaction the book has received at readings throughout the country. Folks have passed out in 2 cities, aspirated on their own vomit in others. These stories are widely publicized to be one of the most disgusting, stomach- turning collections of literature ever produced. I decided that this time- I wasn't going to fall for it. Long a fan of good horror fiction, I've never liked books or films which aim to find life only through shock value. Like bad sex, they tend to just make you feel kind of dirty and unfulfilled afterwards.

But the book has filled me with a sort of fascination with Chuck Palahniuk. Who the hell does this guy think he is? So when I came across this radio interview, billed as being so offensive that it couldn't be aired in it's entirety on the radio, I thought 'ok, I'll bite.' I downloaded the MP3 with the expectation of being fully disgusted by everything this man had to say.

And I was a bit unsettled from the first moment I heard his voice. He has this sort of geeky tone that is distinctly unpleasant. Or maybe I just so expected it to be unpleasant that it would have sounded that way to me no matter what. But the more I listened the more intrigued I became, not because he was offensive, but because there were so many really amazing insights contained in this interview. Everything from general thoughts on the creative process of fiction writing to the connection between politics and horror, and how the genre of horror has changed and adapted to fit a more secular society.

So if you are at all interested in how fiction happens, or even how art in general happens, I recommend getting this guy's perspective. I ended up even liking Palahniuk a little after hearing the interview. Not sure if I like him enough to read the book, but who knows. Maybe I'll check it out. But definitely not on a full stomach.

link to interview via boingboing

1 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Interesting... I couldn't get through that one. Not sure why, just kinda left me cold for some reason. I guess that's supposed to be the point or something. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home